October 08, 2008

Oktober Craziness Begins!

Okay, so everyone who knows my family knows that we always have something going on! October for some reason is always one of the busiest months!

What is today...the 8th? Well we have already managed to spend one weekend in the Nantahala Park in the mountains white water rafting! It was fabulous! There was 14 of us in an 8 person cabin. Yes, that would be me who made the cabin reservation, me who took us to a restaurant Saturday night where we got either burnt or cold steak, and me who took us to a restaurant on Sunday that was closed after driving for an hour and a half! I am no longer in charge of these things!!!

Anways..Saturday was perfect! There wasn't a cloud in the sky. It started out around 40 degrees that day, but ended up around a perfect 75. We started the day out eating breakfast overlooking the river. Beautiful. We had to rent two rafts to carry us all down river. Our raft was the best, even though Jason couldn't sit still and jumped from raft to raft. We would high five with our paddles after a good rapid...Yes..we are dorks, but we have fun! The other raft envied us...I could tell. My raft crew include Mary, Jason, Me, Garrett, and Mom. Garrett was the raft guide for PART of the time. CAPI-TAN GZ! During his time..we always seemed to go down the rapids backwards...huh..Coincidence? He was fired eventually. That was the first time my nephews had been rafting (they were in the other raft with their mom and dad and my dad.) They had a blast!!! About halfway down the river..when you we were all getting a little chilly and hungry...the aroma of Italian food hit us! There was a tiny old cabin on the side of the river. We stopped and ate pizza and boiled peanuts by a fire! It was great! We made it down the river in about three hours, I think. You finish rafting with the biggest rapid at the end. So much fun..and Mary almost fell out, but I caught her. I wish I wouldn't have so we could have laughed. Sorry, it was an instinct to reach for her! There are funny pictures of the last rapid that I will get from Mary and post! After changing into dry clothes, Garrett and I went and enjoyed a nice cold beer and watched other families come off of the last rapid of the river. I got to get my Sweet Water Blue...a beer I haven't been able to get since college! I savored it and later got myself a 6 pack!!! Which I am still savoring! Hehe!

We finished off our trip with a wonderful lunch at the Asheville Farmer's Market Moose Cafe! Our table overlooked the mountains and the Biltmore Estate. Wow! The food was so delicious! They gave you biscuits with molasses, which I haven't had since I was little. Then we all got fried chicken and meatloaf and dumplings...YUMMY! After that meal...we all got into our cars and I fell asleep immediately while Garrett drove me home! Even with all the craziness..it was great!

Stay tuned for more craziness...Scarlett and Mason fly in from Texas in two days!!!

2 comments:

Keri said...

Oh man...your weekends are always more exciting than mine.

I'm impressed with your layout!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks!